Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap

Here's another fun fact about me: I am possibly the cheapest person you will ever meet.

-I would rather not eat than go to the store to get food. When I *do* go to the store, I always buy the cheapest brand possible and eat it, regardless of how it tastes.
-I hate Christmas and birthdays. I have no desire to buy anything for anyone, and I hate when people buy things for me, because: 1) that makes me feel obligated to buy something for him/her next time, and 2) I also feel like other people should be cheap, and any money you've spent buying things for me would have been much better spent buying something for yourself. This is also referred to as "selfishness."
-I continue to work four hours a month at the gas station, which I hate, because it earns me 10% off gas at any Kwikfill station. I almost had to cause a scene at Kwikfill in Groton one day last week, because I had no proof of Kwikfill employment on me and the cashier was hesitant to give me my discount. I wanted that $3.50 off, and I wasn't about to leave until I got it! I got it.

There are more examples of my frugality, I'm sure, but these are the main ones in my head right now. And now I've made my first post in a week--good for me.

2 comments:

Steven said...

I feel the same way about holidays, especially Christmas! I don't know why people just don't get it... nobody appreciates the gifts that they receive anymore. That is the biggest reason why I stopped giving. I used to give each of the members of my family a whopping huge fruit basket each year. These fruit baskets were so huge that when you took them apart they filled up both drawers in the fridge and then some! My grandparents said that they were so thankful for my fruit basket each year and that I was so thoughtful! I would have loved to have received one myself! Well, one year… about fifteen years ago, after my grandfather had passed on; my sister-in-law asked me in a disgusted way if she was going to be the recipient of a fruit basket again that year. No, I replied. So sometime around 1992, I basically stopped giving them gifts.

I didn't have to recognize the season at all, or even get out of bed on that day until I recently got married. I bought myself a nice stereo a week after Christmas one year, I still have it and it was the best gift of all. The best gifts truly are the ones that you buy for yourself. Well, I do appreciate a nice warm sweater or wool hat someone gives me now and then, but don't expect anything in return. My wife takes care of all of the gifting that she deems necessary… much to my dismay. She writes my name on all of the packages. I had to practically beg her and her children not to get me anything for the past two years. The first year of our marriage, I had to sit buried in a pile of gifts. I never felt so miserable and humiliated in my entire life. Every year, come January or February, I hear how we are mysteriously behind on bills somehow. The wife blames it on the rising heat cost, but I tell her that it is her Christmas that has bent us over and sodomized us.

I am truly sorry that I have basically ruined Christmas for my stepdaughters. for some reason, they had cherished Christmas. I guess for most people, it is the only time that they can sit around and pretend to be happy about their miserable lives. I promised that I would try not to ruin it this year. I will try to be silent, but the fact is that I simply loathe Christmas... another thing… that damn tree makes me so sick each year… I mean physically- in bed -sick for weeks... goddamn pine! …and all of the dust that rolls out of the attic along with all of the junk! Gag! The living room looks like a failed yard sale! Maybe while they are all out, I should put a sign up by the road that reads "Christmas decoration sale," I could pocket the money. But what would I do with it? I could drop it in a Salvation Army Kettle… but no…

I am selfish too... I was shopping a Wal-Mart today and on my way out, I saw some people collecting for a charity just outside the door. I skipped out the side door as usual and avoided them completely. I had to wind around several rows of cars to finally reach my own, but I didn't have to part with any spare change. Actually I didn't have any spare change, but I hate when people try to make me feel guilty about my selfishness. I am not greedy by the way… just selfish and maybe a little bit bitter.

Anonymous said...

Great comment, Steve. I can see that I am going to be you when I grow up. I'm not sure what to think about that.